This search engine optimization guide is written specifically for the market area of Long Island New York by our expert local SEO company.
The term Local SEO refers to activities to generate website traffic from within a particular geographic area of which the chosen business obtains customers. The Long Island market area poses unique challenges due to its non-concentric layout. Most suburban areas surrounding major metropolitan cities are shaped in a circular radius from the center point of a major city such as Los Angeles. However, while New York City is the major metropolitan city of which Long Island is its suburbs, it is not located within a circular radius of NYC. Rather the Long Island market is shaped like a horizontal line heading east from New York. Additionally, there are not many major cities within the island. Instead Long Island has groups of towns and hamlets, which are often referred to with common slang terms such as ; the “five towns” (Nassau County – Lawrence, Cedarhurst, Woodmere, Inwood and Hewlett), the “three villages” (Suffolk County – Setauket, Stony Brook and Old Field), the Hamptons (Southampton, East Hampton, Westhampton, Bridgehampton and Sag Harbor), the North Fork (Riverhead, Mattituck, Southold, Greenport and Orient), the North Shore (Manhasset, Lloyd Harbor, Huntington, Port Washington, Roslyn, Sea Cliff, Syosset and Northport) etc.
As such this poses particular challenges and the need for exact procedures followed to obtain the desired traffic and lead generation of businesses located in Long Island whether they’re looking for local customers in the Nassau or Suffolk counties.
Let’s start this checklist first with the definition of Local SEO: Search engine optimization services focused on getting business websites leads, calls and new customers within their target market area usually a specific number of miles radius from their location, neighborhood, town, and city. This can include the creation of directory listings, sometimes called local citations, social profiles on sites such as Google My Business, Google Plus, Facebook, Twitter, and Yelp.
How is local SEO different than other internet promotion? Regular is called national, and it is based on building traffic for a company using their brand and or company name and focusing on their niche or category i.e. sporting-goods, whereas local SEO is more focused on the geographic town and product or service supplied within that area – such as plumbers in Smithtown, NY.
Long Island Local SEO Checklist:
This tip sheet details the components of a successful web campaign for local Long Island businesses that our Internet Marketing Agency offers.
- Directory Listings – first and foremost you need to list the business in relevant directories across the Internet of all types of websites such as national general directories, localized Long Island regional directories and niche or category specific such as hair salon oriented sites.
- Local Citations – these are mentions of your business name and address on other web pages sometimes with a link to your website and sometimes without. An example is an online Yellow Pages listing showing your company information, or a Chamber of Commerce page, or a local business trade association of which you are a member.
- Consistent NAP – name address phone number – It is vital that all the information about your company is EXACTLY the same across the Internet. It is called NAP consistency (NAP = Name / Address / Phone). Top industry standard surveys have described this consistency factor one of the top factors for a good ranking position. Your local search rankings are greatly influenced by whether or not Google finds your business information on the web and from their data suppliers, and whether that information is consistent and matches that provided on your Google+ page and website.
- Review Sites –Web sites where users can post reviews such as Yelp, Google My Business, are both necessary for conversion of site visitors to customers but also essential for rankings and prominence in local search results – specifically in organic rankings and map results. Google considers reviews as social proof of your quality and consistency of business practices.
- Map Listings – Your map listings are critical to getting customers to your location or to calling your business. Additionally, properly designed and fully complete profiles add to your credibility as a business and will improve your local rankings. It is of particular importance not to forget other maps such as Apple maps for your iPhone mobile customers and Siri voice search results.
- Bing & Yahoo – Certainly Google is the largest website for American businesses today however we do not forget that 30% of the market is covered by secondary sites such as Bing and Yahoo. We create your Bing local and Yahoo places accounts and complete them with consistent data, links, and photos to capture this local business from Long Islanders.
- Social Profiles – These accounts such as Facebook, Twitter, etc. are more data to send to Google to verify and confirm your businesses prominence in your market area and town. These profiles and activity indicate both authority and influence it within the business category for better local rankings.
- YouTube – YouTube is the second biggest search site on the Internet today after Google it generates billions of searches monthly loss sending massive traffic to websites and blogs of which our local businesses create new customers, goodwill and neighborhood prominence.
Call us for Local SEO services on Long Island for real results and new clients (631) 838-3076
Resources for more Long Island information: